| | | | |

Hyundai Completes $1.1B Acquisition of Boston Dynamics

Hyundai BostonDynamics400x275

June 21, 2021

Hyundai Motor Group, Boston Dynamics and SoftBank Group have announced the completion of Hyundai’s acquisition of a controlling interest in Boston Dynamics from SoftBank, following regulatory approvals and customary closing conditions. The deal is valued at approximately $1.1 billion, with additional financial details not disclosed.

Post-closing, Hyundai will hold an 80% stake in Boston Dynamics, with SoftBank, through one of its affiliates, retaining the remaining 20%, the companies said in a statement. Boston Dynamics has been developing mobile and advanced robotics for business operations that aim to impact society by making work safer and more productive. Last June, the company launched sales of its first commercial robot, Spot, with more than hundreds of robots operating in industries such as power utilities, construction, manufacturing, oil and gas, and mining. The company also recently launched Stretch, its first commercial robot designed for warehouse facilities and distribution centers.

Hyundai said that by acquiring Boston Dynamics, it takes another step towards its strategy of becoming a “Smart Mobility Solution Provider.” The company said it has invested substantially in the development of future technologies, including autonomous driving, artificial intelligence, urban air mobility, smart factories, and robots. 

In addition, the deal is expected to allow Hyundai and Boston Dynamics to leverage each other’s respective strengths in manufacturing, logistics, construction, and automation. The goal is to create a robotics value chain, from robot component manufacturing to smart logistics solutions, the companies said. Hyundai is also expected to support Boston Dynamics’ continued expansion of its product line and global sales and service footprint.

Related video:

 

{youtube}O2_NEy0iDck{/youtube}

 


Robotics World News

  • Phantom AI Raises $36.5M to Advance Autonomous Driving Platform

    Phantom AI Raises $36.5M to Advance Autonomous Driving Platform

    Phantom AI, a Silicon Valley-based startup developing an autonomous driving platform with computer vision, sensor fusion and control capabilities, has announced it raised $36.5 million in a Series C funding round. The company aims to help customers reduce accidents and make everyday driving more enjoyable, while also unlocking what is next in the advanced driving… Read More…

  • Raise Robotics Raises $2.2M in Seed Round Funding

    Raise Robotics Raises $2.2M in Seed Round Funding

    Raise Robotics, which develops robotic equipment for construction sites, has announced it raised $2.2 million in a pre-seed funding round (reported by Construction Dive). The company is currently providing fenestration and mass timber contractors with semi-autonomous equipment that completes bracket layout, installment and verification four times faster than standard methods. “Our mission at Raise is… Read More…


Products for Robots & Cobots

  • Xfuse Launches Phoenix ISP for AMD’s SOMs and Vision AI Starter Kit

    Xfuse Launches Phoenix ISP for AMD’s SOMs and Vision AI Starter Kit

    Xfuse LLC, which develops customizable imaging and video technology, has announced immediate availability of its Phoenix HDR ISP for the AMD Kria K26 System-on-Module (SOM) and the KV260 Vision AI Starter Kit. Designed for AI developers and computer vision engineers that need to capture real-time, data-rich imaging streams, the Phoenix HDR ISP delivers fully-tone mapped… Read More…

  • Sponsored Video: Oriental Motor BLV Series R

    Sponsored Video: Oriental Motor BLV Series R

    Brushless motors are commonly used in AGV/AMR designs for battery-powered, compact, and lightweight equipment movement. To assist with this development, Oriental Motors has created the BLV Series R Type of modular automation compatible products. The new motors provide DC power supply options of 60 W, 100 W, 200 W and 400 W. Features of the… Read More…