August 16, 2022
PickNik Robotics, which develops robotics software and engineering services, has announced commercial availability of its MoveIt Studio Developer Platform and the MoveIt Studio SDK (software development kit). Both products aim to help robotics and software engineers create, debug, and ship complex manipulation projects faster.
“These premium offerings leverage cutting-edge approaches that we have developed over seven years working with some of the best robotics companies in the world,” said Dave Coleman, CEO of PickNik Robotics. “Both MoveIt Studio products ensure customers don’t have to waste time programming common manipulation behaviors. This will further evolve the robotics industry by making it more practical to use advanced manipulation techniques in more applications.”
The MoveIt Studio software can be used for several robotic manipulation applications, including those used in space, defense, factory automation, supply chain, agriculture, healthcare, clean energy, offshore energy, and undersea exploration, the company said.
The Developer Platform, designed with a user-friendly interface, includes a set of pre-built tools that make it easy to build and debug behavior trees, inspect trajectories, diagnose failures, and provide robot recovery. Additional benefits include:
- Low-code development of complex manipulation for non-experts;
- The ability to remotely develop and test robot hardware;
- Introspection into complex artificial intelligence decision making;
- The ability to recall, rewind and inspect a robot arm trajectory;
- Remote arm jogging and operator-in-the-loop recovery;
- Planning optimizations that help robots plan their motion smarter and faster;
- Tools that can take a process from prototype to production.
The MoveIt Studio SDK is a runtime framework that can be extended through a plugin-based behavior architecture that lets robots make its own decisions. It includes a library of behaviors for the most common robot manipulation tasks, and allows companies to develop their own tasks for application-specific needs, such as leveraging a specific machine learning model. The SDK lets robot engineers and operators assemble complex tasks without having to worry about details of how each sub-task is implemented. The SDK also lets developers re-use sub-tasks and build applications on top of the pre-developed and hardened behaviors, which lets them iterate faster and build more robust solutions.
Benefits of the SDK include:
- The ability to build production systems on a robust foundation;
- Automated error-handling and fault tolerance;
- The ability to plan multi-step, complex tasks;
- The ability to quickly build software that can react to changes;
- Logging that helps developers understand rate limitations and process bottlenecks;
- Reducing research and development costs so companies can ship faster.
PickNik Robotics also leads the development of the open-source MoveIt project, a robotic motion planning framework within the Robot Operating System (ROS). The company said this is now used worldwide in thousands of robots, including projects by Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Fetch, Kinova and others. Both the Studio Developer Platform and SDK are premium software products that extend MoveIt to give robot technicians access to the advanced algorithmic capabilities within an accessible UI.
For more details on the new offerings, visit the PickNik Robotics website here.