March 22, 2021
Harmonic Drive has announced its new RSF-5, a miniature actuator with an integrated servo drive. The product eliminates the need for an external drive, greatly simplifying cabiling while retaining high-positional accuracy and torsional stiffness in a compact housing, the company said.
The RSF Mini and Supermini series is a family of compact actuators that deliver high torque with exceptional accuracy and repeatability, Harmonic Drive said. As part of the RSF Supermini family, an integrated servo drive version utilizing CANopen communication is now available. Because it communicates via CANopen, only four conductors are needed: CANH, CANL, +24VDC, and 0VDC. A single turn 14-bit (16384 cpr) gear output sensing encoder has been integrated. Harmonic Drive said its U.S.-based engineering team incorporated more features and capabilities into the actuator while maintaining a compact size and low mass.
Features of the RSF-5 include:
- Actuator and Integrated Servo Drive utilizing CANopen communication conforming to DS402 and DS301
- 24VDC Nominal +7 to 30VDC supply voltage range
- Single-axis BLDC Motor Controller/Driver with CAN & TTL-UART Interface
- Field-oriented control
- Single cable with only four conductors needed: CANH, CANL, +24VDC, 0VDC
- Zero backlash
- Pigtail connectors with two exit options
- 14bit (16384 cpr) resolution motor encoder
- Control Modes Including Torque, Velocity, and Position Control, CSP, CSV, CST
- Harmonic Drive HDL Software for initial tuning, commissioning, and analysis
- Homing modes include: single-ended, double-ended, double-ended with 16bit autoscale hard-stop homing or teachable position
The RSF-5B-IDT joins the recently released family of FHA-Mini integrated actuators. More details on the product are available here.