December 14, 2021
SMART Wireless Computing, which provides edge computing embedded solutions, has announced the Inforce 68A1 system-on-module (SoM), designed to provide high performance for compute-intensive network edge IoT camera applications. Based on the Qualcomm QCS8250 system-on-chip, the Inforce 68A1 SoM combines support for multiple high-resolution 8K or 4K cameras with artificial intelligence inference at the edge to enable smart camera systems, high-performance conferencing/collaboration devices, connected healthcare, and intelligent retail devices.
SMART Wireless said the Inforce 68A1 SoM includes processing 4K60 ultra HD content for multiple cameras and displays concurrently, plus high bandwidth connectivity via 802.11ax DBS Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5 for connected camera networks. The modulus uses Qualcomm’s Hexagon DSP and AI Engine for high-performance, on-device AI inference used in video analytics to improve the user experience.
“With vast progress being made in AI and machine learning, applications that previously involved manual intervention can now be automated or enhanced to solve some of the most common challenges in our day-to-day lives,” said Todd Wynia, vice president of product marketing at SMART Wireless Computing. “Our application-ready embedded platforms are at the core of this, providing multiple options for global IoT connectivity, multimedia capabilities, and powerful edge computing power, revolutionizing the way we communicate, shop and approach healthcare, among many other possible applications.”
Additional features and benefits include the following:
- Leverages PMIC regulators for large power requirements and on-board power management
- On-board memory and storage that includes 8GB DDR5 RAM and 64GB Universal Flash Storage (UFS) for fast multitasking
- A small form factor SOM that measures 35 mm by 53 mm (7.5 mm profile) to fit into and power ultra-thin applications.
- Electromagnetic interference (EMI) shielding provides radio frequency noise protection, while also improving heat dissipation to improve performance
- A development kit based on the SoM offers functions to help developers create and optimize products quickly
Starting this month, customer samples will be available to order at this website, priced at $99 for the SoM and $749 for the development kit, which includes a SoM, evaluation carrier board with IO, and a starter kit that includes a power adapter and cable.